Search all posts in Overcoming Complex PTSD

Friday, October 17, 2014

Complex PTSD Recovery & Identity

One of the more challenging aspects of my recovery from Complex PTSD due to a childhood of repeated traumas is not allowing it to overtake my own identity.  How do I transform myself through overcoming my maladaptive and self-defeating behaviors without forever linking that transformation to who I am intrinsically?  How can I prevent this from being the defining aspect of my identity?
Surviving child abuse and recovering from its effects have been the over-arching themes of my life story for a few years now, and I’m completely fatigued from it.  I've told those few who are close to me about my recovery, but I’m not sure how much more open I should become.  I don’t want to forever be known as “the guy with PTSD because he was abused” or “the child-abuse dude who fell apart for a few years in his 30’s.” 
At the same time, however, I want to scream from the rooftops about it so others can learn from what happened to me initially in childhood and then much later in life.  Maybe a father out there somewhere stops himself before bouncing his 8-year old’s face off a fender because there was some dirt still left there after the kid washed the van.  Maybe there’s a college student out there who will hear my story, realize what he went through as a kid wasn’t normal at all, and go get help sooner rather than later.  
Look, I’m not trying to be some martyr here or anything.  I don’t need anyone to feel bad for me.  I don’t want sympathy.  This is not some vain-glorious pursuit of self-aggrandizement.  I’m just trying to fashion a silver lining in an otherwise completely dreadful set of circumstances.  Recovering fully would be sufficient enough, but I’ve gone through hell and I want more than to just break even.
It’s been suggested to me by several people in the mental health field that I should marshal my experiences, education, and ability to communicate in order to do some good for others in this particular area.  I’ve been told that I should write a book, become a peer mentor/counselor, or maybe consider being more of a public face since so few men are willing to do so. 
It’s one reason I started writing this blog.  This might be the foundation of a book, a jump start into writing for periodicals, or maybe this will stand on its own and be effective at helping others.  Of course it's quite possible this will be something that nobody really reads or cares about, and that's not the worst thing because I’m terrified that this will be the everlasting impression I leave… the thing for which I’m remembered (assuming I’m remembered at all!).
Yet I’m also starting to wonder if maybe I should just continue to do this anonymously because I don’t want this to become the predominant aspect of my identity.  I truthfully don’t want to identify with it forever even though I know it will always be a footnote on every page of my life story.  I’m still anonymous right now because I’m not completely convinced that I want to be forever associated with having recovered from Complex PTSD due to physical and psychological traumas in childhood.  Just typing those last few words and envisioning people reading it with my name attached to them stresses me more than just a bit.
On the other hand, I know that there’s no way to make a true impact anonymously.  If I’m going to have any measure of success at realizing that silver lining, I’m going to have to put my name on it.  Otherwise I’m just playing into the societal stigma and reinforcing the fear many men have about admitting what happened to them really messed them up.  How can I encourage men to be brave and face down the problems they face as a result of their childhoods if I’m not stout enough to openly own my personal experiences?
It’s just that I want my identity to be more about who I am as a person, the things I enjoy doing, and the ways that I spend my time:
I’m a granola guy who loves nature, camping, rafting, fishing, hiking, boating, and generally anything else done outdoors. 
I’m an over-the-top football fan who convinced a bar in the heart of Chicago to become an Atlanta Falcons watching spot that fills up every Sunday bringing Dirtybird fans together and now has Falcons flags, banners, and a 10-foot blow-up guy out front on the sidewalk.  It’s such an amazing thing to be a part of.
I write football columns and articles for a Falcons website affiliated with Sports Illustrated. 
I tutor adult learners trying to get their GED, pass the US citizenship test, or whatever their goals may be. 
I’m a loving and occasionally overzealous father of two girls who knows way more about My Little Pony than any 30-something man ever should. 
I’m the old guy still streetballin’ at the gym with the young bucks. 
I’m the grill-master-forever-in-training who loves nothing more than to hold court while turning racks of ribs and Vidalia onions on a hot summer day. 
I’m the MacGuyver-ish dude who gets a bizarre pleasure from fixing damn near anything. 
Don’t even get me started on my geeky side because that’s at least another 3 paragraphs!
My point is that there’s so much more to me than just being a child abuse survivor.  But if I come out hard and heavy, and I really do this right… then will the rest of me get swallowed up in the process?  Does everything else in my life get overshadowed?  I have so much trepidation that I will forever be stamped by what I’m in the process of overcoming instead of simply getting to actualize all of the other aspects of my identity. 
Of course, that’s the problem.  This is part of who I am and nothing will ever change that.  Either it’s a known fact of my life, or it’s something I try to hide forever. 
No.  To hell with that.  I’m tired of hiding this as though it’s something I should be ashamed of people knowing.  I didn’t ask for a childhood like that, and I surely didn’t want to be in recovery from it 15-20 years later.  Those who will think ill of me or keep their distance as a result are exactly the kind of people I don’t want in my life anyway.  Maybe it’ll be a great way of filtering out the wrong kind of people, and then they can identify me as whoever or whatever they please. 

My identity is mine and will not be subject to any label placed upon it by others.  Being a child abuse survivor may end up being what people most know me for, and it will always be a part of me, but I won’t let it become all that I am because I’m a hell of a lot more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment